Sunday, August 16, 2015

Interview With Our New Principal - Ken Turnis

The Lucas PTO is excited to welcome our new principal - Ken Turnis - to Robert Lucas Elementary school! Mr. Turnis' family just moved to town from Johnston, Iowa - a small town just to the northwest of Des Moines - and is looking forward to a great school year. 

How are you and your family settling into Iowa City?
First of all, we are absolutely thrilled to be a part of the Iowa City community.  My wife, Erin, and I have been busy with the many transitions involved with a move.  Our 3 boys, Charlie (10), Will (8) and Cooper (5) have been wonderful assistants with the process.   We recently completed a whirlwind move and live in North Liberty.  We have some friends who already live in the area and are enjoying time together.  Our boys are excited to be attending Penn Elementary this year! 

What are some of your family's favorite hobbies and activities? 
We are a very active family!  Our boys participate in multiple sports and enjoy being busy.  My wife and I spend much time keeping up with their activities, trying to soak in each and every experience.  As a family, we like the outdoors and camping is one of our favorite outings.  Locating the backyard and spending an afternoon/evening playing games is always a family favorite.  Of course, we love the Hawkeyes!   My oldest has already stated that he wants to attend all their games.  When asked about a particular sport, his reply is, “All of them!” 

How does being a parent of elementary school age kids affect the way you approach your role as principal?
Being a parent certainly gives a fresh perspective on life!  As an educator, I do feel that having my own children gives me a vantage point in seeing the home experience from a perspective of reality.  Not only does this assist with realizing the impact of curriculum, instruction and assessment on an individual child, but it allows me to gauge how my children connect to the varying components of school, both academic and social.  Admittedly, my boys do tire quickly of Dad’s inquiries!

What impressed you when you interviewed at Lucas?
The interview process was an entirely positive experience.  I left with the understanding that the representative team was comprised of individuals who truly loved Lucas!  That positive energy and commitment meshed with my own, and I have thoroughly enjoyed the start of relationship-building with all stakeholders. 

I know you’re still getting to know everyone here at the school, but do you have any special points of emphasis that you hope to accomplish this coming year?

Embracing all that’s wonderful about Lucas will be my first step!  I do want to continue supporting others as we build a strong student-centered team of educators and families.  Communication is one of the keys to our success, and I will continue to be a good listener and receive input from anyone wanting to have a conversation.  Educational approaches, curriculum and assessments continue to adjust for the betterment of our students.  This year, we will be focusing our efforts on how to continue improving our efforts to address the needs of each and every individual student.  Lucas has a tremendous team of educators who will certainly be on board for the year ahead!  Lucas Rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment