Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Get to Know Ms. Galloway

We're excited to have several relatively new staff members at Lucas, and we'll get to know them as the year progresses.  This month, we talked to fourth grade teacher Melissa Galloway.





The Mighty Hawk Messenger:  How long have you been at Lucas, and what did you do prior to joining us?

Ms. Galloway:  This is my 2nd year at Lucas.  I worked as a 4th and 5th grade combination teacher at a school in Cedar Rapids for nine years before coming here.  And one year in Omaha teaching 1st grade.  That’s when I realized upper elementary is where I’m supposed to be!

The Mighty Hawk Messenger:  What is your favorite part of being a Lucas teacher?

Ms. Galloway:  My favorite part is the people, especially the kids!  There are so many humorous, smiling faces in the halls and it never gets old!  I’m lucky to be working with an amazing staff and principal as well! 

The Mighty Hawk Messenger:  When you were a kid, did you think you'd grow up to be a teacher?  If not, what did you want to be?

Ms. Galloway:  I always wanted to be a teacher until right before student teaching my final year of college!  That’s when I took some time off and realized that it’s for sure what I wanted to do.  As I kid, I used to think my teachers were boring.  I used to daydream about what I’d do if I was in charge.  Then I’d practice on my one student (my little sister). So now you know what kind of a kid I was ha!
 
The Mighty Hawk Messenger:  What's the biggest lesson you've learned that's helped you grow as a teacher and a person?

Ms. Galloway:  I remember reading that people and students will like you if you like them, and that students who like their teacher learn better/more from them.  That got me thinking big time.  How do I get students to like me without being a pushover or fake?  The answer I’ve learned is that I have to like them first!  It’s hard to dislike someone who genuinely likes YOU.  So I have to get to know people/students until I like them.  I always like every student I get, because I get to know them until I do.  After I know why I like them, they tend to like/respect me.  A mutual like/respect between my students and I has helped me grow as a teacher and a person.  It makes my job the best job ever.  We have fun in here! 

The Mighty Hawk Messenger:  In a world with unlimited time and money, what would your classroom be like?

Ms. Galloway:  It would look like a much better version of what I have now!  I’d love more space in order to have more active stations.  I’d like to have more quality equipment for active learning as well, so it lasts longer!  I’d still have my “farm” but our “patio” would be a lot cooler and more spacious.  I’m talking two story cages here! With quality bean bags to sit on! I’d love more laptops and headphones that are in good condition, as well as a more extensive personal library.  I don’t need unlimited time…I’m not greedy.  But unlimited (or even limited!) money for my classroom, I’ll take!

The Mighty Hawk Messenger:  If you could travel to anywhere in the world, where would it be?

Ms. Galloway:  I'm not necessarily picky about the location, as long as it's an all-inclusive beach resort by the ocean!  And since we're playing this game, I'll fly first class please.

The Mighty Hawk Messenger:  What's something about you that people who don't know you very well might be surprised to learn?


Ms. Galloway:  Wow, this is the hardest question on here!  I’m kind of an open book, but maybe people don’t know I used to be super into the guitar and writing my own music?  Now all I write is cheesy math songs with no guitar accompaniment or anything. I’m still hoping to make it big, except in the instrument free math song/rap genre.

3 comments:

  1. hey that is my teacher. from lukas

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! She is the best teacher to me this year she is great and awesome. But you should change the pic. she does not like it. We always show it to her and she is like "Stop you little evil kids." Even you know that she likes it in her head. What a funny picture.

    ReplyDelete