Sunday, February 18, 2018

Get to Know a Mighty Hawk: Ms. Lopez

We're excited to have several relatively new staff members at Lucas, and we'll get to know them as the year progresses.  This month, we talked to third grade teacher Danielle Lopez.



The Mighty Hawk Messenger:   How long have you worked at Lucas, and what did you do prior to joining us? 

Ms. Lopez:  This is my 3rd year. Prior to teaching, I worked at an advertising firm in the Los Angeles area for 8 years.

The Mighty Hawk Messenger:  What’s your favorite part of being a Lucas teacher?

Ms. Lopez:  The students. I love that every student has a different background and all bring with them something unique that we can learn from.  

The Mighty Hawk Messenger:   If you could take your whole class with you anywhere in the world for Spring Break, where would you go and what would you do?

Ms. Lopez:  In a perfect world, Opening Day at Fenway Park. We would eat Fenway Franks, peanuts, and licorice, and watch the game in the Green Monster seats.  Go Red Sox! 

The Mighty Hawk Messenger:   It’s been a year full of interesting and controversial news.  Do you and your students discuss current events? How do you guide discussions in a constructive and age-appropriate way?

Ms. Lopez:  We have many discussions, especially topics that come directly from our read aloud books. We are currently discussing WWII and the Nazi invasion through the eyes of young Ada, the protagonist in The War I Finally Won. Prior, we unfolded the breaking of segregation and gender roles in Hidden Figures. My main job is to keep the students safe. When we have these "mini college discussions", as I like to call them, I always feel the room out. When it seems that the content is getting too mature for them, I segue to another topic that is more relatable to them.  

The Mighty Hawk Messenger:  You’re from California, correct?  Has it been a culture shock to live in Iowa in terms of teaching or any other area? 

Ms. Lopez:  Yes! The weather! However, believe it or not, I do appreciate all 4 seasons now, even winter.  In terms of teaching, I am glad that Iowa still incorporates the Humanities. Those classes were the first to go in California. 

The Mighty Hawk Messenger:  What is something about you most Lucas families might not know?

Ms. Lopez:   I love road trips. Put me in a car and I will go anywhere! 

No comments:

Post a Comment