Monday, April 2, 2018

Get to Know a Mighty Hawk: Mrs. Lovetinsky

We're excited to have several relatively new staff members at Lucas, and we'll get to know them as the year progresses.  This month, we talked to art teacher Amanda Lovetinsky.



The Mighty Hawk Messenger:  How long have you been at Lucas, and what did you do prior to joining us here?

Mrs. Lovetinsky:  This is my 2nd year at Lucas.  Before this, I taught art at St. Jude Elementary and LaSalle Middle School in Cedar Rapids.  I was also a counselor and coordinator at the University of Iowa's Wildlife Camps.

The Mighty Hawk Messenger:  Did you always want to be an art teacher?  If not, what did you hope to be when you grew up when you were a kid?

Mrs. Lovetinsky:  When I was in 2nd grade I met a friend who taught me how to draw horses.  I have loved drawing and art ever since.  My grandmother and several aunts were teachers.  And I love working with children.  So sharing art has always been something that I enjoy.  Now it is part of my job!

The Mighty Hawk Messenger:  What’s your favorite part about working at Lucas?

Mrs. Lovetinsky:  There are so many things I love about working at Lucas.  This year, my favorite part is probably the new art room!  We have so much space to move around and there is room for all of our supplies and art.  I am very thankful for the opportunity to work here. 

The Mighty Hawk Messenger:  Who are some of your favorite artists, and why do you admire their work?

Mrs. Lovetinsky:  I have so many artists that I admire.  My top 3 are probably: Czech painter, Alphonse Mucha.  Because of they beautiful way he paints people (and I'm part Czech)! Leonardo DaVinci; because I studied art in Italy, and I love the science and thought in his art.  And Andy Van Schyndle.  When my husband and I started dating we realized we both had artwork by the same artist!

The Mighty Hawk Messenger:  In a world with no financial or space limitations, what kinds of art projects would your students do?

Mrs. Lovetinsky:  We would travel all over the world!  We would visit museums, study the artists in their home towns, try making our own work in their style, and eat lots of great food to help us soak up the culture.  (And it would be wonderful to have plenty of chaperones to come with us to help and play.)

The Mighty Hawk Messenger:  What’s something about you Lucas families might not know?

Mrs. Lovetinsky:  I have lived in Iowa City most of my life.  I went to Roosevelt, Weber, Northwest and West.  Besides art, I am also passionate about reading and gardening.  In the next few years my husband and I hope to get chickens for our yard!



1 comment: