Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Get to Know a Mighty Hawk: Mr. Moore

Each month, The Mighty Hawk Messenger profiles a Lucas staff member to help our community get to know him or her better.  This month, we talked to fifth grade teacher Mike Moore..




The Mighty Hawk Messenger:  I understand that you’re the longest-serving teacher at Lucas.  How long have you been here?  Have you always taught fifth grade? 

Mr. Moore:  27th year and I have always taught 5th grade.

The Mighty Hawk Messenger:  What did you do prior to teaching at Lucas? 

Mr. Moore:  Substitute taught, coached, worked as an electrician's apprentice, and played a lot of golf and softball.

The Mighty Hawk Messenger:  You’re famous for your passion for social studies.  How did you become interested in that subject? 

Mr. Moore:  I have always enjoyed history because of my father and mother's interest in history. Being an only child I went on every vacation with my parents and we stopped at every historical site possible. I saw some really memorable places, like; Ford's Theater, The Oval Office, Gettysburg, Jamestown, Yellowstone National Park, The Vatican, The Colosseum, Venice  and many more. 

The Mighty Hawk Messenger:  What do you enjoy most about your students’ work in that area? 

Mr. Moore: I think the Pioneer Unit and the student's Challenge Projects are really cool. The kids really enjoy this unit.

The Mighty Hawk Messenger:  If you could travel to any time and place in history, where and when would you choose?  

Mr. Moore:  I would like to have been living before, during and after the Revolutionary War. I believe I would have been a Patriot and been right in the middle of the conflict. Ha, strange???

The Mighty Hawk Messenger:  What is your favorite part about being part of the Lucas community? 

Mr. Moore: It has been my home for 27 years. All the families that have come through my classroom will always be part of my growth as a person, husband, father and teacher. I can't imagine being somewhere else.

The Mighty Hawk Messenger:  What is something Lucas families might not guess about you? 

Mr. Moore: I am a Star Wars and Monty Python fan.


3 comments:

  1. Blessed to have been in Mr. Moore's 1st 5th grade class at Lucas! He made 5th grade wonderful and I have many memories from that year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! Who is this unknown from my first class?

      Delete