Sunday, February 2, 2020

Get to Know a Mighty Hawk: Ms. Yseth

Each month, The Mighty Hawk Messenger profiles a Lucas staff member to help our community get to know him or her better.  This month, we talked to reading tutor Haley Yseth.




The Mighty Hawk Messenger: What is your job at Lucas?  How long have you been with us?

Ms. Yseth: I am serving Lucas as a ReadingCorps literacy tutor through the AmeriCorps program.  I work one-on-one with K-3rd grade students practicing reading skills.  This is my first year at Lucas and I started at the beginning of the school year.  

The Mighty Hawk Messenger: What did you do and where did you live prior to working at Lucas?

Ms. Yseth: Prior to working at Lucas, I lived in Seattle with my sister.  I was a wellness coach and studio manager.  I am passionate about healthy and balanced living.  Prior to this work, I taught 3-6 year old children in the Montessori method.  

The Mighty Hawk Messenger: What is your favorite part about working at Lucas?

Ms. Yseth: My favorite part about working at Lucas is seeing the dedication of the staff.  Educators wear many hats and I am inspired by the relationship building between staff and students.  I also appreciate Shelly's sense of humor!  Laughter is a positive way to start and end the work day.  

The Mighty Hawk Messenger: Is  there a teacher or other educator from your life who really made a difference for you?  What was it that made him or her so special?  

Ms. Yseth: Yes!  Mrs. Jensi Andrus was my high school biology teacher.  I remember many days where she would enter the classroom and write "ACCOUNTABILITY" on the board.  Through repetition and reflection on this word, I learned a lot about choices and responsibility.  She built a genuine, personal relationship with every student, like she really wanted to know us.  

The Mighty Hawk Messenger: We’ve had several school cancellations already this year.  What’s your favorite way to spend an unexpected day off? 

Ms. Yseth: During the last snow day, I took the dogs for a walk and played in the snow!   I spent some time reading and writing and made a few delicious meals.  I spent time catching up with friends by phone. And took a nap somewhere in there too.  So you could say I enjoy resting and relaxing!    

No comments:

Post a Comment