Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Get to Know A Mighty Hawk - Family Resource Center Director Yolanda Spears

Each month the Lucas PTO will be featuring a teacher or staff member on the Mighty Hawk Messenger blog. This month we spoke with Family Resource Center Director Yolanda Spears. 

How long have you been at Lucas?  How long have you worked in the school district and/or in community organizing?

Wow, now you are going to get a complicated answer to what seems to be a very easy question. My boys and I moved to the area from the Penn Elementary area when they were in 2nd and 4th grade. During that time I was pursuing my bachelor’s degree in social work and working too.  Whenever there were UISW school projects that could be taken to the community I would always choose Lucas Elementary. Over 8 years ago, I was asked to assist with a grassroots effort to bring a Family Resource Center to Lucas. I realized that this was my dream job once the school district approved of the position here at Lucas and the rest is history. 

That’s so interesting! Why does Lucas have a Family Resource Center? Do all elementary schools in the district have them? 

Lucas has a FRC because of parent and staff hard work in advocating for the families here at Lucas Elementary. We spoke to community members, gave tours, and presented findings about how our school make up was going through a change (just like other schools in the district) and how we would benefit from having an FRC. All schools in the district have access to a Student and Family Advocate now, which is a fantastic change from when I started in the job.

What does a typical day look like for you?

Hopefully my day starts with coffee and after that nothing is typical. I have parents come to visit with me, I may accompany a child to a doctor visit, I could be meeting with Mr. Turnis, I return calls, I am setting up a fun program for the kids/families, and the list goes on and on. I see myself as the link between school, home, and the community. All those links means that I have to be flexible and responsive to the needs of a variety of people and entities

What programs are you involved in at Lucas?

I assist families’ access to district-wide programs like Joan Buxton School Children's Aid and Healthy Kids Community Care Clinic. My job gives me the ability to work on bringing additional programming that is “exclusive” to Lucas Elementary. Additional programming often comes with collaborations such as: performers with UI Hancher, First Presbyterian Church with Operation Backpack, and our newly formed Adult ELL program with Lucas PTO/ICCSD 21st Century Grant. This is just a few and I am always looking forward to collaborating with parents to bring new and fresh programming ideas.

Busing has been a big issue in our district this year. Did this issue impact Lucas students?

Busing is still an issue especially with the school time changes. I believe that to get a positive learning environment for our kids, families to be informed and unite. One of the ways Lucas families came together is when the ICCSD considered eliminating discretionary bussing across the district. This directly affected the safety of the Lucas kids and families living in Modern Manor and Sunrise Village. Our parents pulled together to disseminate information (English and Spanish) to make sure everyone was well informed and how to advocate for our community. They showed up in mass to the school board meeting. It was a wonderful moment.

Go Mighty Hawks! How can Lucas families continue to support each other?

The best support is getting to know each other. Modern day schedules, technology, and various time constraints hinder families from socializing. The school, with the help of parents, strives to bring programming to school to give parents opportunities to get to know each other. Don’t let differences or barriers stop you from getting to know another parent. Another way to support is to volunteer at the school. I can guarantee that you will meet a new parent if you attend a PTO meeting, help with the school garden, etc.

Do you ever need volunteers in your office? What opportunities do you have this year? 

I do need volunteers from time to time. Often the assistance that I need comes in the form of spreading the word to families and/or offering to attend a school function. This year I will be working on an Adult ELL program, Operation Backpack, Stuff the Truck Event, UI Hancher performances, and the list continues to grow depending on the needs/wants of our families. The best way to find out what is going on for the Family Resource Center is to 'like' the Facebook page: Lucas Elementary Family Resource Center.

Level with me. Who is your favorite Lucas student of all time?

My all-time favorite student….Wow….what a tough question!!! I would have to say my sons Evan (US Marine stationed in Hawaii) and Cameron (lives here in Iowa City). I learned so much being a parent at Lucas Elementary because of them. They come to visit me from time to time and that makes me sooooo happy.

A little bird told me you are a huge fan of all Chicago sports teams (except the White Sox!).

I actually like the White Sox too and that may seem a little odd. I have been very lucky to see the Bulls, Blackhawks, White Sox, Bears, and the Fire win major championships during my lifetime. I want to live long enough to see the Cubs do the same… "Go Cubs Go"!!!! I would trade in the most fantastic seats to any Chicago sports team game if I could watch a game on TV with my parents. My father loved the White Sox. My mom was a Chicago FAN-antic, lover of all things competitive (bowling, race car, ping pong, tiddly winks, etc.) and my first sports guru who started the sporting spark!!!

Other posts in this series: 

5 comments:

  1. This is such a great series! I loved learning more about Ms. Yolanda's history in the district and all she's done for Lucas. She's a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story about a great person. Go Yolanda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great and useful article. Creating content regularly is very tough. Your points are motivated me to move on.


    Labour Attorneys Johannesburg

    ReplyDelete