Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Get to Know A Mighty Hawk - Music Teacher Nathan Kelley

Each month the Lucas PTO will be featuring a teacher or staff member on the Mighty Hawk Messenger blog. This month we spoke with music teacher Nathan Kelley - a longtime Lucas teacher. 

How long have you been teaching music?
I have been teaching elementary general music since 2003 after I graduated from Iowa Wesleyan College with a bachelors degree in Music Education. I am a Level 1 and Level 2 Orff Schulwerk certified teacher, and this summer I became a Level 1 certified world music drumming teacher. 

As a music teacher, what makes you most excited and fulfilled?
I always feel very excited and fulfilled when my students are able to take a piece of music and perform it without my help. This shows their independent musicianship. I also feel very fulfilled when I hear about past students participating in music in any way after their time at Lucas. 

Did you have a teacher that inspired you when you were the same age of your students?  
My high school band teacher, and my college piano instructor are the two most influential teachers in my life. Dr. Brown my college piano instructor guided me in college and put me on a path to succeed without me even knowing it. If it wasn’t for him I might not be a teacher at all. He was someone that always knew what you needed even if you didn’t.

What is your musical life outside of school? 
I was a clarinet major in college. I do not currently play in any bands, but did play in the Southeast Iowa Band for many years in the beginning of my teaching career. I am the current president of the First Iowa Orff Chapter and attend four workshops a year on Saturdays. 

If you could add anything to your instructional "bag of tricks," what would it be?
I would love to add more World Music Drums. Back in 2006-2007 the Lucas PTO purchased 12 drums for us to make 14 total in my room. Now with having 32 kids in some classes we are in a great need for more drums. Drums are a lot less expensive than xylophones, and I am currently looking into ways to get funding to purchase more. Also with the large class sizes more xylophones might also be needed in the near future. 

Broadly, what do you hope Lucas Elementary students will leave your class knowing and understanding?

My number one thing I want students to leave Lucas with is instilling in them a love for music that they can carry with them the rest of their life. Not all students are going to be a professional musician, but we can all enjoy the healing powers of music throughout our entire lives.

When you're relaxing at home on the weekends, what music are you listening to?
My taste in music is very eclectic. I listen to everything from classical and movie music to current popular tends including electro music. 

No comments:

Post a Comment