Thursday, November 5, 2015

Get to Know A Mighty Hawk - Modified Teacher Jessica Flannery

Each month the Lucas PTO is featuring a teacher or staff member on the Mighty Hawk Messenger blog. This month we spoke with a 15-year Lucas veteran, Modified Teacher Jessica Flannery. 

Photography generous donated by Lucas parent Amanda Monday, owner of BirdsDream Design

Thanks for taking the time to talk to me today. I understand that you've been teaching at Lucas for since the beginning of your career 15 years ago. What originally inspired you to become a special education teacher?

I thought I was going to be a kindergarten teacher. When I went to college I had a double major in Elementary Education and Early Childhood Education. At the time UNI's Early Childhood Education major had a special education component to it. I had some great "field experiences" at different schools with varying levels of special needs children.

When I started subbing my first year as a teacher I was drawn to the Early Childhood Special Education class that was at Lucas at the time. A month into the school year I did a long term subbing job in that class and just fell in love with the kids. That October, Lucas' special needs numbers increased and the school was approved to hire a third teacher for the then SCC (self contained classes). I was asked to apply by the principal and was very happy to accept the position. I originally taught the middle class out of the three rooms.

What is the special education population like at Lucas?

Awesome! Our special needs kids are each unique individuals just like all the kids in Lucas. I walk down the halls of Lucas and see diversity not only in the modified classrooms, but in the general education classes as well. It is one of the things I love about the Lucas community.

I understand that in the Iowa City Community School District the attitude is that 
all special education students are general education students first. How much time do your students end up spending in more traditional classroom setting?

It really depends on the individual child: their abilities, their needs. Each child is different so they all spend different amounts of time in their general education class. My goal is to include them as much as possible.

At the start of this school year, I read an article in the Press-Citizen by a local parent with an autistic child about how to talk to your children about how to be inclusive and kind to their autistic classmates. Do you have additional thoughts about how Lucas students (and parents!) can be inclusive and kind to your students?

I love this question! I am very lucky to work with great teachers who talk about acceptance of all students in their classrooms. I feel that the best thing that kids and families can do is talk to each other. I try to go into the general education classrooms of students I have and talk to their peers about my students needs at the beginning of the year.

I think the best thing Lucas families have to offer each other is acceptance.



Other posts in this series: 

No comments:

Post a Comment